BoxSet4Less DVD Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it a pillow, is it a pet?

Go down

Is it a pillow, is it a pet? Empty Is it a pillow, is it a pet?

Post  bestlive Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:05 am

Well ladies and gents, it's both! Ok, not really. I mean yes, it could be called a pillow technically- but it's a pet only in the same way the pet rock was a pet. It could be called stuffed animal pillow-like thing, but somehow the marketing might've been affected.Pillow Pets(as seen on TV) are furry stuffed animal shaped pillows that come with a Velcro strap that allow you to close them into a stuffed animal that stands on their own. They come in nine different designs:a yellow duck, a brown dog, a lady bug,a pink pig,a lavender unicorn,a bee, a panda bear,a green frog,or a purple hippo. They are very cute, I'll give you that. But to be honest if I had seen it on a shelf somewhere I'd have never thought wow, I have to get this for my kids they will absolutely love it. It just seemed like a cute decorating touch for a kids room, maybe something to take on long car trips that wouldn't look horrible if left on the back seat, but mostly a space taker-upper. I have (I'll be the first to admit) been proven wrong before...and I was wrong this time. My kids have been begging for the things since they saw the commercial for them last month." It's a pillow, it's a pet...it's a pillow pet!" I decided that it was all the doing of the marketing geniuses behind that advert and said what I usually say when the kiddo's are hyped out over the latest fad. If you still want it come your birthday, it's yours. Usually there are ten more fads that fill this space and they are able to pick out the one or two they really, really want.
But today I was at CVS with my sister and we walked by a display of them. Display is stretching it. There was a space where they were supposed to be and a large picture saying that's what went there, but only two dogs, two bees and two unicorns remained. "Awe, I guess they really are cute aren't they?" I said to my sister casually and continued to walk on. "Awe they are...What are they?"she asked "Really? you haven't seen the commercials for them?" I asked, singing the little jingle without meaning to,because it's been carved into my brain to the point where it comes out randomly anyway....I was reminded that my sister's children were now young men and oh yea not everyone watches children's cartoon channels as often as we do. But I explained how the girls had been asking for one and maybe would get one for their birthday. "I'm getting them one, which one should I get? ...The bee is cute, but I don't know would they like the unicorn better, one each a different one or both the same? Both the same, the unicorn then...but that bee is so cute!" These were all statements coming from her while I was saying,"No, don't be silly...I was planning on getting them one later if they still want one..Really I mean it ,no..why are walking up to the cashier with them?" By this point the card was being swiped and I was deciding to be ok with two kinda big for no real reason presents, the kind that always make me feel guilty if I can't reciprocate them back right away. While dealing with this I overheard the cashier saying, "These are going really fast, I can't even believe it-we just got them in today . My son asked me yesterday if we sold them here and I said no, walk in today and the display's going up and now we just have two dogs and the two bees left!" Really? I must've looked sceptical because she continued,"Really, they must be the next zuu zuu pets, we had the other store call to see which we had left two hours ago and they sent a lady over who bought up eight in one go for her grand kids! People are really excited that they can get them from stores and not just from online or the TV now." Huh, well my sister was now extra happy because she was sure she had saved the kids from wanting something that'd be impossible to get later as both my children's birthdays fall in prime Christmas shopping months. I was more ok with the purchase and hoped the unicorns would be ok, since the requested pillow pets had been a ladybug for my oldest and a pink one from my youngest. They were, more then ok actually-it's been a while since I heard shrieks like that in the house. The unicorns have been fully embraced and brought into our family, they have names. One is Dee Dee, one is Sally the Unicorn and they are clutched under my kid's heads as I write this. They've made it into a pet and a pillow about twenty times each now at least. My kids actually begged to go to sleep tonight so they could try them out. I know, it's early, but I can see them actually being useful later too. They are small enough to take on trips and not take up too much space, especially when in pet form. And they are super fluffy and seem well made, a requirement for any stuffed toy I allow into the house. This could be actual true toy love....well see.

bestlive

Back to top Go down